Payra to be country’s third power hub

Daily-Sun-01-01-24-12-2017

Shamim Jahangir

State minister for power, energy and mineral resources Nasrul Hamid speaks during a visit to Payra power hub in Patuakhali on Friday.

“Around 9000MW of electricity will be produced at Payra with a net investment of about US$12 billion,” said the state minister while talking to journalists during a visit to the proposed Payra power hub site in Patuakhali on Friday.

According to Nasrul Hamid, a total of nine mega power plants, having combine electricity generation capacity of 9000MW, will be set up at Payra hub.

“We have already started working for setting up the plants and hope to get electricity from the first plant, the1320MW Thermal power plant, by April, 2019,” said the minister.

Bangladesh-China Power Company (Pvt) Limited has already completed 31 percent construction works of the 1320MW power plant in Payra. “It’s a low cost power plant as the cost of per unit of electricity will be only US$ 0.08,” said the minister terming it a modern ultra-super critical coal-fired power plant.

“We are expecting electricity from the plant by April, 2019,” he said.Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has selected the Paira site for developing power plants aimed at overcoming the nagging power crisis in the country’s south and western region, he said adding that the government will start implementing a series of development activities in the area considering people’s welfare of ‘neglected’ south western districts of Barisal, Patuakhali and Khulna.

“After completion of the Padma Bridge, the requirement of electricity in the country’s south-western region will be around 12,000MW. We will get 9000MW of electricity from Payra hub,” he added.

The power divisin has already signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with German based Siemens recently. “We will sign final deal with Siemens next year for implementing another LNG based power plant at Payra too,” said Nasrul expressing his satisfaction over the progress made in developing the power hub.

“By next five years, the power hub, build in the barren land, will start generating electricity by phases,” Nasrul said. The under construction 1320MW Payra plant will require $1.6 billion investment. “We are planning 80 percent debt for the 9000MW power hub and the rest 20 percent will come from joint ventures investment,” the minister said. ECA financing and china credit will be approached for implementing the plants at Payra.

The minister, however, finds resettlement as one of the main challenge for implementing all the three major power hubs at Payra, Moheskhali and Matarbari.

The minister was accompanied by Chairman of Bangladesh Power Development  Engr.Khaled Mahmood, North West Zone Power Generation Company Limited managing director Engr. AM Khurshedul Alam and senior officials of Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited during the visit at Payra.